The show notes I assembled for Episode 25 of WitGlass Unfiltered are so detailed that I thought I’d offer them as their own WitGlass Drafts post, as well. I don’t think I’ll be able to offer such complete show notes for every episode, because these show notes took so much time to assemble that I wouldn’t be able to put out more one or two podcast episodes a week. Here they are in all their glory, however. Enjoy.
#25 - Home Automation, Smart Assistants, and Security
Andy Rubin is back in the news with Essential Phone and upcoming home automation and smart security hardware. Apple is reportedly working on an AI chip. And privacy and security are hard to come by. In this episode, I discuss these things, plus a five-minute rave about the Jura Impressa C60 home espresso machine.
- 1:00 - Jura Impressa C60
- 2:00 - Trader Joe’s Ethiopian Coffee
- 3:00 - Proper Way to drink a shot
- 4:00 - Lex Land’s New EP, released under the band name One Big Dark Room: From Hell, With Love
- 7:00 - “Andy Rubin” on Wikipedia
- 8:00 - Essential Phone:
- “Android Creator Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone Looks Stunning and Will Cost $699”
- I allude to this weird feature of the Essential Phone, but I never return to discuss it in depth. Here’s an article about it: “Nice Phone, Essential, but Why Is There a Hole in the Screen?”
- 11:00 - “4K Resolution” on Wikipedia
- 12:00 - Re/Code
- 14:00 - Siri Privacy and Data processing
- 16:00 - EULA
- 18:00 - Evernote Encryption
- Dropbox Security
- iMessage End-to-end encryption
- 22:00 - Three Felonies a Day
- 24:00 - Apple AI Chip
- 25:00 - Andy Rubin about Fighting Technology: “The Father of Android Says It Has ‘Forced Us to Fight’ With Technology: But He’s Releasing an Android-Based Phone”
Apps and Services
The apps and services listed here are the ones that I actually use in developing and maintaining the website and podcast. If you see it listed here, I love it. I don’t keep using any app or service I don’t love. Every app and every service has limitations—some more annoying or frustrating than others. But if it’s on this list, you can be sure that on the whole, I love it.